As you can see, the user documentation for RapidSVN has just started. The first draft with the outline was created 2006-11-01 and it will grow in the weeks and months (and years!) to come.
Your help with the documentation is requested! If you want to proofread the texts or if you want to create whole sections of the documentation: just create an account and start working on the site.
In the past I had to disable the user account creation to the public after this was abused by wiki spammers who would come and insert invisible SPAM links in our pages (probably to get a better google pagerank). Hopefully this won't be that much of an issue anymore, since now a user has to verify her account.
- Download the installer package for windows operating system from here.
- Double click on it to start the installation process.
- Follow the steps that you see on the screen, you can leave the default options.
- You are done, now you need some SVN repository to start working!.
- Click on the menu item 'View/Preferences...' to set the preferences.
The 'Programs' tab must be filled with the paths pointing to the programs that perform Edit, Explore and Diff functions.
The suggested programs are:
||TODO: editor for Mac OS/X|
|Explorer||explorer.exe||nautilus||TODO: explorer for Mac OS/X|
|Diff||WinMerge||Meld||TODO: OS/X Diff Tool|
If you are new to both Subversion and RapidSVN, probably the first thing you are trying to do is checkout a working copy of an existing repository.
Checkout a Working Copy
- Click on the 'Repository' menu
- Click on the menu item 'Checkout.. (CTRL-O)', this will open the 'Checkout' dialog box
- Enter the URL of the Subversion repository in the 'URL Text box'
- Select a local directory for your sandbox (working copy)
- Click the 'OK' button
If you are new to RapidSVN, but have used Subversion, probably the first thing you want to do is view an existing Subversion sandbox with RapidSVN.
View an existing subversion sandbox (working copy) with RapidSVN
- Right click 'Bookmarks'
- Click 'Add Existing Working Copy'
- Browse for the root of the local copy
- Click the 'OK' button
Create a new Repository
At the present state a repository can only created with the command svnadmin. to do so just type in svnadmin create file:///path/to/repository
Import into the Repository
Browse the Repository
Review your Changes
Commit your Changes
- Ensure that the view 'Flat Mode' is enabled.
- Highlight any new files and do an 'Add' (Control+a).
- Highlight any changed and recently added files and do a Commit (Control + m).
- Enter a meaningful? comment, and select OK.
Update your Working Copy
Create a Tag / Branch
Branching and tagging are both achieved by using RapidSVN's Copy command (Modify > Copy, or press F5). Copy the directories and files you wish to branch / tag into a subdirectory of your relevant branch or tag folder.
Note: if you would like to create a tag from your working copy you will need to type the full address (i.e. starting with svn://) into the "Select Destination:" box.
Tip: it's easier if you add a bookmark for your repository (Booksmarks->Add Existing Repository...) and perform your operations in there. You can use relative destinations when moving/copying in there. For example you might select "trunk" and then Modify->Copy. Enter "tags/my first tag" as destination.
Merging is combining the contents of one branch with another, or combining one branch with your trunk (main) version. This is accomplished via the Repository > Merge... option. An important thing to know about merging is that you merge the versions on your local machine, not on the remote repository.
In brief, the steps are as follows. Assumming you want to merge branch1 and branch2,
- Update your local copy of branch1 from the repository
- Update your local copy of branch2 from the repository
- Select Merge... from the Repository menu
- In the "First working copy or URL", enter the local address of branch1
- In the "Second working copy or URL", enter the local address of branch2
- Enter revisions in the two "Revision" boxes (see below).
- In "Destination path", enter the local address of the folder you'd like your merge to be created in
- Click OK
- Select the lkocation where your merge has been placed and Commit it to the remote repository (use Ctrl-M, the toolbar icon, or Modify > Commit).
If you are merging a branch with a trunk (main) version, you may wish to have "Second working copy or URL" and "Destination path" both be the path to your main version.
"Revision" cannot be left blank. You are also unable to type "head". If you wish to use your head (latest) version, you will need to type in its number. This can be discovered by selecting your remote repository in Bookmarks (you can't do this while the Merge dialog is open) and selecting "Log..." from the "Query" menu. Use the Revision number from the latest entry in the log (top of the list).
Export from the Repository
Exporting from a repository allow you to copy the contents of a repository without the SubVersion (SVN) inforration. Essentially, it gives you a clean version of the files.
To export from a repository:
1. Click on "Repository" and choose "Export..."
2. In the "URL" box, type the URL of the repository you wish to export. You don't have to export the whole respository, you can export individual files or directories if you wish.
3. In The "Destination Directory", type the path to the location you wish to export to.
4. Click "OK"
A good place to ask questions about RapidSVN is the users' mailinglist at mailto:email@example.com.
The mailinglist central is at http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList. You can use this page to search for messages that may address your problem.
The RapidSVN project uses an issue tracker to manage bugs/defects or feature requests. The URL for the issue tracker is http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectIssues. Please ask your questions / report your problem first on the mailinglist to keep duplicate entries in the issue tracker at a minimum.
I've sized a file list heading to zero and can no longer see it
You can also reset all columns to their default widths and selections from the View->Columns->Reset Columns menu pick.
- Quit RapidSVN
- Run regedit
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RapidSVN\RapidSVN\FileListCtrl
- Find parameter names that end in width with their values set to 0
- Set the parameter value to something like 50.
- Run RapidSVN